- Gerrit Cole has the best odds to win the AL Cy Young in 2020, while Jacob DeGrom has the best odds in the NL.
- The aging Justin Verlander has the third-best odds despite his incredible 2019 season.
- Different sportsbooks odds vary greatly right now, so smart bettors should shop lines.
NEW YORK – In 2019, the National League Cy Young Award went to New York Mets ace Jacob DeGrom for a second consecutive year. In the American League, the honor went to the Houston Astros’ Justin Verlander—his second career Cy Young and his first since 2011.
In 2020, oddsmakers consider DeGrom a heavy favorite to repeat, but Verlander’s odds distantly trail two other AL aces: newly signed New York Yankee Gerrit Cole and Boston Red Sox star Chris Sale.
There is a sizable disparity in betting odds depending on which sportsbook bettors use right now, so those betting on MLB futures would be wise to shop lines (or betting with whatever site that offers the best odds on a preferred player) to maximize their payouts.
DeGrom is entering his "age 31 season" —a prime year for pitchers—and has been historically dominant despite being stuck with the floundering Mets. His four-seam fastball continues to be one of the best pitches in baseball, with a ridiculous spin rate and whiff percentage.
Verlander had a great 2019 season in his own right, but he is in the twilight of his career entering his "age 37 season" and plays for an Astros team that has by far the worst reputation in Major League Baseball. His 0.803 WHIP was the fifth-best ever posted by a pitcher, but it likely isn’t sustainable, especially given his age.
Verlander’s former teammate Gerrit Cole looks like a heavy favorite to take home the award this season.
Cole’s $324 million contract, the largest ever signed by a pitcher, was the second-biggest story of the offseason after the Astros sign-stealing scandal. The increased visibility of playing in the New York market will be a boon for his chances.
The current 2020 Cy Young Betting Ods are as follows:
Bovada – AL Cy Young Award Odds
- Yankees RHP Gerrit Cole +260
- Red Sox LHP Chris Sale +550
- Astros RHP Justin Verlander +850
- Yankees RHP Luis Severino +900
- White Sox RHP Lucas Giolito +1000
Bovada – NL Cy Young Award Odds
- Mets RHP Jacob DeGrom +325
- Nationals RHP Max Scherzer +400
- Dodgers RHP Walker Buehler +650
- Cardinals RHP Jack Flaherty +700
- Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg +900
BetOnline – AL Cy Young Award Odds
- Yankees RHP Gerrit Cole +325
- Red Sox LHP Chris Sale +700
- Astros RHP Justin Verlander +1000
- Rays RHP Blake Snell +1200
- Indians RHP Shane Bieber +1200
BetOnline – NL Cy Young Award Odds
- Mets RHP Jacob DeGrom +300
- Nationals RHP Max Scherzer +425
- Cardinals RHP Jack Flaherty +600
- Dodgers RHP Walker Buehler +700
- Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg +1400
Getting The Best Odds
While the order of players is similar on both betting platforms, there are some key differences that keen bettors should take advantage of. Generally speaking, BetOnline’s Cy Young odds look a lot more favorable for bettors right now, especially in the AL. Whichever player a bettor favors, it is important to look at a variety of sources to ensure that they are getting the best possible odds.
After a World Series MVP performance in 2019, Strasburg’s +1400 odds with BetOnline will likely be popular with bettors. Despite an injury-marred career, Strasburg still has one of the best pitching arsenals in baseball and a sky-high ceiling. One dark horse to watch out for is the Atlanta Braves’ Mike Soroka, who posted an impressive 2.68 ERA in 2019 at just 21 years old. His current odds sit at +2500 with both Bovada and BetOnline, but if he can improve on his impressive debut season, expect him to be heavily involved in 2020 award discussions.