- The Pittsburgh Steelers are nine point favorites over the Detroit Lions.
- The Steelers have not covered in a single game in which they’ve been favored this year.
- The Lions are +310 on the moneyline, with the Steelers at -415.
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers are fresh off of a hard-fought victory over the Chicago Bears, and are nine point favorites over the Detroit Lions on Sunday.
The Lions are still winless, and the game is expected to be low scoring, with a point total O/U line of 42.5
Detroit Lions Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Spread
- Detroit Lions +9.0 (-115)
- Pittsburgh Steelers -9.0 (-105)
The Lions have played eight games this season, and at game time, they’ve been less than nine-point underdogs only four times.
Notably, the Lions were only 7.5 point underdogs to the Baltimore Ravens, and only 3.5 point underdogs to the Cincinnati Bengals, teams with similar records to the Steelers.
Despite not winning a single game this year, the Lions have covered the spread half of the time, with a 4-4 ATS record - the online sportsbooks seem to have them pegged.
Pittsburgh, meanwhile, has a 3-5 ATS record on the season, and they’re 0-4 against the spread in games they’ve been favored in this year.
What NFL betting fans should know about the Lions that they’ve held to a consistent ATS pattern this season. They’ve covered the spread, then failed to cover the spread, and alternated between the two for the entire season. In other words, every game they’ve failed to cover the spread has been immediately followed by a cover.
The Lions failed to cover the spread in their last game, a 44-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Detroit Lions Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Moneyline
- Detroit Lions +310
- Pittsburgh Steelers -415
ESPN’s Football Power Index model gives the Steelers a 73.6% chance to win the game, while the Lions are sitting at 26.4%.
USAOnlineSportsbooks.com provides you with the most current information regarding sports betting and fantasy with the help of commissions we receive from links you may click on our site.
When accounting for the vig, the implied odds that the Steelers have to win the game according to the sportsbooks are 76.6%, with the Lions at 23.24%.
This means that the sportsbooks are slightly shaded towards the Steelers compared to what FPI thinks of the matchup.
Pittsburgh Steelers Injuries Entering Matchup With Lions
Injuries could impact this matchup as well - entering the game, several important players on the Steelers could be unavailable.
WR Chase Claypool, TE Eric Ebron, DE Isaiah Buggs and DT Cameron Hayward are all currently listed as questionable on the Steelers injury report. Claypool and Hayward could be especially tough to replace. Claypool, an athletic and tall WR, was a focus in the Steelers’ game against the Bears, breaking off a 26-yard reception before limping off.
Hayward has notched 42 tackles and 2.5 sacks for the Steelers this season, along with a crucial interception against the Bears on Monday Night Football.
Despite these injuries, the Steelers are favored to win big, but this could be a chance for the Lions to notch their first win of the season.
The Pittsburgh Steelers take on the Detroit Lions on Sunday at 1 p.m. EST. The game will be broadcast on FOX.
Maxwell joined the USAOnlineSportsbooks team in 2019. He focuses on creating sports betting content that informs and educates. He focuses on the NBA, the NFL, College Football and Basketball, and whatever else comes across his desk.